Saturday, January 31, 2009

Reading is...



Anyone who knows me knows I have a huge passion for reading and for books. I get a thrill, an adreneline rush from buying and reading them. Call me weird, but it's part of who I am. I feel people can learn a lot from books whether they are true stories or not. Everybook has a message. I recently read the book The Shack by William P. Young for the second time. It is such a good book that paints an amazing picture of what it means to be in true relationship with Christ. It was hard to narrow down what my favorite quotes were without rewriting the whole book! Here are a few of them:

"Most birds were created to fly. Being grounded for them is a limitation within their ability to fly, not the other way around. You on the other hand were created to be loved. So for you to live as if you were unloved is a limitation, not the other way around. Living unloved is like clipping a birds wings and removing it's ability to fly. Not something I want for you. Pain has a way of clipping our wings and keeping us from being able to fly. And if left unresolved for very long, you can almost forget that you were ever created to fly in the first place. I am God. I am who I am. And unlike you, my wings can't be clipped." ~ Papa (God) pg. 95


" The darkness hides the true size of fears and lies and regrets. The truth is they are more shadow than reality, so they seem bigger in the dark. When the light shines into places they live inside you, you start to see them for what they are. We keep all that crap inside because we believe it is safer there. And somtimes, when your're a kid trying to survive, it really is safer there. Then you grow up on the outside, but on the inside you're still that kid in the dark cave surrounded by monsters, and out of habit you keep adding to your collection. We all collect things we value. ~ Jesus pg 174, 175

"Learning to live loved. It's not an easy concept for humans. You have a hard time sharing anything. What we desire is for you to 're-turn' to us, and then we come and make our home inside you, and then we share. The friendship is real, not merely imagined. We're meant to experience this life, your life, together in a dialogue, sharing the journey. You get to share in our wisdom and learn to love with our love, and we get to hear you grumble and gripe and complain..." ~Jesus pg 175

"Someone hoping for a new revolution, one of love and kindness - a revolution that revolves around Jesus and what he did for us all and what he continues to do in anyone who has a hunger for reconciliation and a place to call home. This is not a revolution that will overthrow anything, or if it does, it will do so in ways we could never contrive in advance. Instead it will be the quiet daily powers of dying and serving and loving and laughing, of simple tenderness and unseen kindness, becuase if anything matters, than everything matters. ~William P. Young

No comments:

Post a Comment